This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Antidepressants: cure or cause?
Studies are being done to determine whether antidepressant drugs actually contribute to adolescent suicide.
At 16, when I started using Luvox (a.k.a. fluvoxomin, one of the drugs being tested), I actually got a lot worse. But I'd been told by my doctor that it would get worse before I got better - my body would need about a month to get used to the drug, also to build up enough of it to be effective. When I didn't feel any better after a month I pretty much stopped believing it would start to work, and that's when I was most in danger of suiciding. It took two months for the drug to start working properly. Although I made it in the long run, I'm not sure it was worth it.
I'm glad these tests are being done, as I think that a lot of doctors just give depressive teenagers drugs as a quick fix.