This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

I haven't blogged in a while. Been to busy.

Thursday was the Commencement Dinner for the City Residence Society. The theme was 'Lawful & Unlawful', meaning we were supposed to dress as someone from either side of the law. There were quite a few police, a couple of detectives, lots of gangsters, two Ned Kellys, a few prostitutes, a heroin addict and a bikie. Oi was a poirat. Arrr!
Dinner was followed by a rather banal game of Perfect Match.

For over a week now I've had a poster for The Passion of the Christ on my door. Because of that a lot of people've been asking me about it, and about what I believe. One person asked me for a Bible.
Friday night I went and saw the film. It was pretty graphic, but not more than I was expecting. But I do think criticism is for the amount of violence is justified, because sometimes it seemed just bit over the top. But which is worse? Over the top or under the top? In every other film I've seen based on the life of Jesus, the last day of his life is extremely sanitised, to make it user-friendly.
And it's not anti-Semitic. Jesus and his disciples were portrayed more 'Jewishly' than I've seen the portrayed before. Also, most of the people who try to help Jesus are Jewish. But, considering what they've had to go through in the past, I can also understand why some Jews were worried about it.
However, while it's a great opportunity for the public to become more aware of Christian scripture, as a film, The Passion is certianly no masterpiece.

On Saturday I went down to Melbourne, for Wob's 21st, at Seamus McSomething*'s Irish pub.

On Sunday I came back up to Ballarat, with most of the stuff that was still at my parents' place.

*No-one seems to know the actual name for the place.