This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Thursday, May 08, 2003

Yesterday morning, before Fantasy & Spec Fic I went to the bank to see if Centrelink had come through. It had, but they'd only given me $156 instead of $198, which was what they were giving me (per fortnight) before the computers accidentally cut my payments.

In Fantasy & Spec Fic I found out I'd failed due to not handing in an assignment (the one I was working on the morning there was a storm and the street got flooded) and it being to late now to hand it in at all.
At first I was pretty upset, but it was the best unit to fail, becasue it takes up the most time - I had to read a 500 page novel each week - and now I'll have more time and hopefully be able to pass all my other subjects, all of which I'm currently behind in.

In Issues with in Television I found out that one of the Theatre Production guys in my tute used to be Prime Possum.
A self-proclaimed 'happy, comfortable, middle-class girl' was asked about her perception of the working-class were. Her main points were that they only have one TV (black and white) in their house and have to eat Special K.
We also discussed Turnoff TV Week, Buy Nothing Day and the fact that while most parents will sit and read a book with their kids, so that they can learn to read critically and with understanding, but don't do the same with TV.

This morning I finally got a new concession card. The one on the left is from last year; the one on the right I got this morning. With my old one, sometimes the bus drivers reckoned it wasn't me because the photo was taken when I had short hair, so I had to pay full fare. That shouldn't be a problem now.


Also went to Centrelink.
While in the que I noticed that everyone else that was waiting was trying not to pay attention to the big TV in the corner, showing some crappy soap. But the urge was irresistible. Heads would turn without their owners' control... then snap away again.
When i got to the front of the line they said I wasn't getting as much now because I hadn't returned the reassesment form they hadn't sent me. So I got a copy of the form, and will get a backpayment when I return it.

After lunch I went up to the school where I work. I didn't have to work tonight because it was a pupil free day. However, Gianni (one of the guys who was at the camp last weekend, and boards at the school) asked if I wanted to come over and just hang out.

Tonight I've been reading Michael Moore's book, Stupid White Men, which I bought today.