This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Friday, February 13, 2004

Got a message from Bonnie last night:

    Christop... How
    are you mate!? A
    guy i went 2
    school with
    moved 2 ballarat
    the other week.
    Wondering if
    there's anything
    i could tell him 2
    go 2? Hes
    lonely.ü
Wasn't sure what she meant, so I gave her a call.
This was the first time I'd ever spoken to someone I know from the Internet, so it was kind of strange. When someone's talking to me online, or I'm reading something they've written, I imagine how I think they would say it, in a voice that I think would suit them. I sort of expected Bonnie to sound like the other South Australians I've known, who've either sounded English or German. But it turned out she sounded more 'Aussie' than most of the Victorians I know.
Turned out this guy had been living in Ballarat for a few weeks, trying to find a job, but he hadn't found one yet, and he hadn't made any friends (whereas I'd presumed he'd just gotten here, and would be going to the uni). I said I'd try pay him a visit today, after I'd finshed tutoring Ray, and Bonnie said she'd send me a message once she'd found his number and address.
About an hour later I received:
    My mistake, he
    actually lives in
    bendigo! Silly
    me! Sorry! Nice
    talking to you
    tho! ü have a
    good one! ü