This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Sunday, January 18, 2004


The Golden Age
The '80s are considered by many to have been the Golden Age of my generation. However, I was only born in 1984, so I only experienced five years and 360 days of Eightiesdom, and can't say I was paying a lot of attention. Here's some of what I remember:

Care Bears
I remember watching this on TV once when we visited friends from church. And I think I had a Care Bears colouring book.
In 2001 one of my friends imported a copy of Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation.
It turns out that recently whoever owns Care Bears is trying to resurrect the franchise.

Glo Worms
I had one of the little, plastic ones that glowed for a while after you held it up to a light. Because there weren't any lights in the house that I could reach, I used to throw mine at the light repetedly, so that it would build up enough glow. I seem to remember taking it to school one day and one of the other kids chucking it on the roof.

Transformers
I wasn't allowed to watch Tranformers, because it was to violent. But I was allowed to have a Transformers colouring book. Everyone knows you can't catch violence from colouring books.

Dino Riders
I became obssessed with dinosaurs after Dad took me to the museum to see the dinosaur fossils. But I wasn't allowed to watch Dino Riders either. And I didn't have any of the toys. But I did have a colouring book. With stickers.