This is the interesting and exciting blog of Christop - one of the 84 000-or-so people of Ballarat.

Thursday, July 31, 2003

EuripidesOn Tuesday I went to the uni book shop to get my copy of The Bacchae. Unfortunately they were out of copies. They could have a copy in by Friday, which'd have been real good if I ahdn't ahd to have read it by yesterday morning.
So I tried all the bookshops in town. They all had collections of Euripides' plays, but none contained The Bacchae. I did, however, find a copy of The Odyssey, which I have to read for next Wednesday, for only $5.
I eventually got a copy of it from Mt Helen library. But not the H.R. Dodd translation, which we were supposed to read. It was a translation by this Nigerian guy called Wole Soyinka.

Anyway, it turned out that translation was sufficent.
In the Myth & Mythmaking tutorial, Alice was talking about the scapegoat archetype (an example of which, is Teiresias). Because this archetype is based on the scapegoat from Jusaism, Alice asked if anyone had a Bible. I was the only one, so she asked me to find the bit in Leviticus that talks about the scapegoat. So I found it, explained the context of the passage, and then read it out.
Then Alice said that Jesus is often compared to the scapegoat. This girl who was sitting two seats down from me said that he was more often likened to the sacrificial lamb. I wondered if maybe she was a Christian too.

Anyway, after Students for Christ, while having lunch, I was talking to Erin about it. She realised I was talking about one of her friends, who'd also told her about it earlier. Her names Naomi, and it turns out she's also Hannah's sister.

Gave Bonny the Bible I got her, during Mass Media. (She didn't come to Myth because she's been up until 4am doing stocktake at her work.) She spent most of the lecture reading it. She said she really wants to come to church, but she ahd to work on Sunday. Said she could come to small groups that night, and she said she might if she wasn't too tired.
Turned out she was to tired though.

This morning I got rid of a heap of books I didn't want anymore. Remnants, Cairo Jim and Redwall books all went in the op shop bin. Asterix books went to Devo.

This afternoon I contacted this guy to get my carpet cleaned. He'll be coming in on Tuesday

I'm at the SMB library, and there's been this girl walking around with a post-it note over her mouth.